Do you want to check sentence grammar? If so, then you may be one of the people who find it hard in detecting mistakes in their sentences and are looking for help online. Today, you will learn how to check your sentences in a fast and hassle-free way.
Checking Grammatical Errors in Sentences: Five Steps
- To check sentence grammar, detect if you have used a complete sentence. This is the first step. Remember that one contains a complete thought; it has a subject and a predicate and expresses your idea correctly.
- A sentence begins with a capital letter and end in a period, a question mark or an exclamation point. See to it that your sentence possesses these characteristics.
- Check if your sentence contains a verb and if it contains a complete idea. Also, see to it that it still makes sentence when standing alone (an independent clause).
- To check my sentence properly, know the types of sentences. One is the simple sentence containing one independent clause, while the compound sentence contains two independent clauses. On the other hand, there is the complex sentence that has an independent clause and a dependent clause (a phrase that cannot stand alone). Lastly, there is the compound-complex, a combination of the two types of sentences, the compound and the complex).
- Read your sentence aloud and see if it expresses a complete thought. When it does, it is a complete sentence.
Other Tips to Check Grammar of a Sentence
- Stick with the active voice. (S+V+O). Example, “Mary cooked dinner.”
- Link ideas using a coordinating conjunction to avoid run-on sentences. Coordinating conjunctions are ‘for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.’
- Use a comma when connecting two separate ideas as one.
- You should use a serial comma in a list. For example, “The pet shop sells cats, dogs and rabbits.”
- Join two ideas with a semicolon if you are not using a coordinating conjunction or a linking word.
About Our Grammar Check
Our check my writing tool does all the work in checking sentences and their grammar, spelling and punctuation. It is designed and made to deliver you the best results because it complies with the grammar rules of the English language.
With it, there is no need to commit the same mistakes you are committing when writing English sentences. It can check for sentence structure, parallelism, spelling, word choice, subject and verb agreement and punctuation, among others. It does not only check grammar, punctuation and spelling, but it also detects any hints of plagiarism, a common problem among writers who do not give proper credit to their sources when citing their ideas.
By learning of these sentence correction tips as well as other good practices in English writing, you will be on your way to improving your writing. With that said, you will eventually become a better writer. Finally, you can make use of our grammar and sentence structure checker that requires no download and is free. It also checks all types of writing mistakes for polished and impressive papers.